Army: Fort Hood suspect had requested leave

The Rev. Jeff Miller lights four candles, one for each of the victims of the Fort Hood shooting and one for the alleged shooter, at the beginning of the worship service at First United Methodist Church in Killeen, Texas, on Sunday April 6, 2014. Investigators say that an Army truck driver, Ivan Lopez, had an argument before opening fire at the Texas post last Wednesday, killing three soldiers and wounding 16 others before taking his own life. (AP Photo/Austin American-Statesman, Jay Janner)
The Rev. Jeff Miller lights four candles, one for each of the victims of the Fort Hood shooting and one for the alleged shooter, at the beginning of the worship service at First United Methodist Church in Killeen, Texas, on Sunday April 6, 2014. Investigators say that an Army truck driver, Ivan Lopez, had an argument before opening fire at the Texas post last Wednesday, killing three soldiers and wounding 16 others before taking his own life. (AP Photo/Austin American-Statesman, Jay Janner)

FORT HOOD, Texas (AP) — Investigators say the rampage that left three dead and 16 wounded last week at Fort Hood was related to the shooter’s request for leave from the Army post.

Army spokesman Chris Grey did not indicate during a brief news conference Monday whether Spc. Ivan Lopez was granted the leave.

Grey says the shooting spree Wednesday covered the equivalent of two city blocks as Lopez drive from one area to another on the Central Texas base randomly firing at soldiers.

Authorities have said the shooting was preceded by a verbal altercation Lopez had with other soldiers in his unit.

Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

blog comments powered by Disqus