Bluffton chlorine leak secured

The Bluffton Fire Department on the scene at the water treatment facility.

BLUFFTON, Ind. (WANE)  Emergency crews have respond to a chlorine leak at a waste water treatment plant in Bluffton on Friday morning. 

According to Bluffton Mayor Ted Ellis, employees smelled a strong chlorine odor when they arrived to work at the facility at  702 West Main Street. The Bluffton Fire Department was called in around 8 a.m. and the employees evacuated. 

Fire Chief Broderick sent a release after 10 a.m. stating the chlorine leak was small and that drinking water in the area was safe. Broderick said no other evacuations will be needed. 

A hazmat team worked on the situation and the fire department announced that the leak was secured before noon. Fire crews planned to stay on the scene for a short time to work with employees, according to the announcement.

 

Comments are closed.