Ind. counties denied FEMA help for January storms

ALLEN COUNTY, Ind. (WANE) – 49 Indiana counties, including seven in northeast Indiana, were denied FEMA aid for the snowstorm between January 5 through the 9.

Local governments and certain non-profits were looking to replenish 75 percent of its budget spent on this year’s winter storms.

For Allen County, there must be $1.2 million in eligible costs to be considered for FEMA help. Those eligible costs would be: debris and snow removal, emergency protective measures such as search and rescue, damage to buildings and equipment and more.

State officials must use FEMA regulations to see which eligible costs would qualify for federal assistance. The 49 counties applied for this aid on March 6. All were denied.

“FEMA workers came in about a month ago, using the same books and came to a different conclusion and disallowed a lot of the claims,” said Allen County Homeland Security Director, Bernie Beier.

Beier said state officials were in Allen County late last week to reevaluate their claims to be resubmitted for the appeal.

All the counties that were denied help: Allen, Benton, Blackford, Boone, Carroll, Cass, Clay, Clinton, DeKalb, Delaware, Elkhart, Fountain, Fulton, Grant, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Henry, Howard, Huntington, Jasper, Jay, Johnson, KosciuskoLaGrange, Lake, LaPorte, Madison, Marion, Miami, Montgomery, Morgan, Newton, Noble, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Rush, Shelby, Sullivan, Tipton, Vanderburgh, Vermillion, Vigo, Wabash, Warren, Wells, White and Whitley.

State officials said it would be several months until a decision is made on the FEMA appeal.

blog comments powered by Disqus