FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – The Fort Wayne Fire Department responded to a house fire Thursday night.
Firefighters were called to 2508 Wildcat Cove around 7:15 p.m. and found smoke coming from the basement of a two-story home. Crews were able to extinguish the fire in about ten minutes.
Firefighters also located a dog inside the home and reunited it with the owner who was able to safely evacuate the house when the fire started.
The dog and owner of the home were not hurt.
FWPD investigators said the fire started while the homeowner was spray painting in the basement. The fumes from the paint were ignited when the water heater turned on.
The home sustained minor fire and water damage and moderate smoke damage, according to a fire department report.