FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – An account has been set up to help the child of a fire victim.
The woman is in critical condition after a house fire destroyed her rental home Sunday morning.
The Fort Wayne Fire Department said a cooking accident caused the fire just before 5 a.m. in the 1800-block of Kinsmoor Avenue.
When crews arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the front of the house. The property manager told NewsChannel 15 that the woman and her boyfriend were inside at the time and they got out safely. However, she said they later collapsed and were taken to a hospital for smoke inhalation.
“They were able to pull some of her belongings out, but there is nothing bigger than a match stick out there. I think what was left was a couch. Her car is completely gone. It’s melted. It’s sad. It’s scary to see something like that because it could happen to any of us.” Lynn Haffner, the property manager, said.
Firefighters had the fire under control within nine minutes.
The property manager of the home has set up an account to help the victim’s child. It’s at Chase Bank under the name of Liberty A. Rowland. The bank accepts personal checks, cashier’s checks or money orders. Out of town donations must specify Fort Wayne, Indiana.
Items that the child needs include:
18 -24 month girl clothing, size 5 shoe, size 7 cruiser diapers (found at Babies “R” Us), a car seat and toys
They can be dropped off at 1206 East Dupont ( Coldwell Banker Building) at Haffner Rentals Office between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.