FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) In 2013, a total of 23 restaurants were shut down by the Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department. This year, 14 have already been closed for Health Code violations; one of them twice. There have been 158 food-related complaints made to the department so far in 2014.
See also | Health Dept. releases inspection photos
Many of the closures have been for pest problems. Ann Applegate with the Department of Health told NewsChannel 15 that the discovery of just one cockroach merits shutting a restaurant down.
Several years of inspection results for Allen County Restaurants are available online at the Food and Consumer Protection page of the Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department website.
John Silcox, Director of Communications for the Health Department released the following list of restaurants closed in 2014:
- Tilted Kilt of Fort Wayne – closed 1/25/14 due to extended interruption in hot water service.
- Golden Wok – closed 1/29/14 due to no water service at facility.
- The Mandarin – closed 1/29/14 due to cockroaches.
- Red Rok Saloon – closed 2/6/14 due to rodents.
- Apollo Coventry Cinemas – closed 2/11/14 due to rodents.
- Atz’s Ice Cream – Tillman location– closed 1/27/14 due to rodents.
- Atz’s Ice Cream – North Anthony location – closed 2/17/14 due to cockroaches.
- Naked TChopstix – closed 2/18/14 due to cockroaches.
- Lakeside Cafe – closed 2/19/14 due to cockroaches.
- Pizza by Vito’s –closed 2/20/14 due to cockroaches.
- The Rib Room – closed 2/24/14 due to cockroaches.
- Asakusa Japanese Restaurant – closed 02/24/14 due to cockroaches.
- The Mandarin – closed 2/25/14 due to cockroaches.
- Dicky’s Wild Hare – closed 2/25/14 due to cockroaches.
- China Garden on South Anthony Blvd – closed 2/26/14 due to pests
NewsChannel 15 reported on the closures of The Mandarin and Dicky’s Wild Hare on Tuesday, shortly after the Lima Road Asakusa was approved to re-open.
The Mandarin was approved to re-open on Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday afternoon, Dicky’s Wild Hare was re-opened after health inspectors approved the restaurant. China Garden remains closed.
Inspections and complaints
If you see something out of place at a restaurant, health officials ask you to let them know. File a complaint by calling their office at (260) 449-7562 or fill one out online here.
Go to the Food and Consumer Protection page of the Fort Wayne-Allen County Health Department website to see inspection results and for more information on food-related complaints.