FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Nearly 70 students competed in the 60th annual Allen County Spelling Bee at IPFW’s Rhinehart Music Center on Saturday.
This year’s champion, Lwin Moe Aung, correctly spelled the word “furlough” to win the competition. The Lutheran South Unity School seventh grader will compete against 15 other champions from the region at the Area Spelling Bee on March 8. Whoever wins that match will go on to represent the region in the 87th annual Scripps Howard National Spelling Bee in Washington, DC in May.
During the bee, Lwin also correctly spelled “finesse,” “cilantro,” “parapet,” and “homogeneous” correctly.
Susan Chen, an eighth grader from Woodside Middle School finished second. She misspelled “egalitarian.”
The top five finishers at the Allen County Spelling Bee were:
- 1st place: Lwin Moe Aung, Lutheran South United School
- 2nd place: Susan Chen, Woodside Middle School
- 3rd place: Danielle Mishler, Canterbury School
- 4th Place: Ethan Anderson, Saints Joseph & Elizabeth School
- 5th Place: Sophia Whitsitt, St. Paul Lutheran School