Man escapes fire thanks to pet bird

Andy Hardiek, 36, stands in his mother’s mobile home with his pet cockatiel, Dylan. The bird woke Hardiek from a deep sleep, alerting him to a fire in his mobile home. (Photo courtesy: The News Sun in Kendallville)

AVILLA, Ind. (WANE) – A man escaped a mobile home fire Monday afternoon thanks to his pet cockatiel, according to WANE’s partner in news, KPC.

KPC reports the fire happened at 632 VanScoyoc in Avilla shortly before 1:30 p.m. There were no injuries in the fire, according to firefighters.

The mobile home owner, Andy Hardiek, 36, said he has his bird, Dylan, to thank for saving his life.

“His bird woke him up,” Avilla Fire Chief John Brazzell said. “That bird actually probably saved his life.”

The mobile home and its contents were likely a total loss, according to KPC.

Comments are closed.