Fort Wayne murder suspect arrested in California

Mugshot of Freddie Alcantar courtesty the Allen County Sheriff's Department.

FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – A Fort Wayne man charged with murder was arrested by U.S. Marshals in California on Thursday. He is accused of stabbing his mother-in-law to death.

Authorities were able to locate 36-year-old Freddie Alcantar by pinging his cell phone. Fort Wayne Police Department Public Information Officer Michael Joyner could not release any more information on the exact time and location of Alcantar’s arrest.

NewsChannel 15 learned about the murder charges against Alcantar on Thursday. Police say he stabbed a woman to death in her north side home back in August. The probable cause indicates 36-year-old Freddie Alcantar was the victim’s son-in-law.

Police said 59-year-old Debra Jones, of Fort Wayne, was found dead in her bathroom on August 30. Officers were called to Jones’ home, located in the Creekwood subdivision, off of Saint Joe Center Road, after two people apparently found her dead.

Jones’ daughter, Erika Alcantar, told police she couldn’t get in touch with her mother so she went to her home to check on her. Michael Joyner, spokesperson for the Fort Wayne Police Department, said that’s when Alcantar and her husband, Freddie, found Jones covered in blood.

The Allen County Coroner said Jones died from loss of blood due to a sharp force injury to her neck. According to the probable cause, she suffered stab wounds to her head and neck. Her death was ruled a homicide.

According to the affidavit for probable cause, Freddie and Erika were interviewed by police in September. The couple gave consent for police to search their Fort Wayne home. Several samples of what appeared to be dried blood were taken from the couple’s home.

A search warrant was also issued for Freddie’s cell phone. Those records showed Freddie got a call from Erika on August 30 shortly after 2:30 a.m. Cell tower information showed Freddie was near Jones’ home at the time of the call. Police said the call time fit within the time frame of when Jones died.

According to police, Freddie said he never left his home on the morning of August 30 and that he was in bed with his wife the entire night. Freddie said the couple got up around 5:15 that morning when Erika was getting ready for work.

In December, police obtained surveillance video from the Speedway gas station on N. Coliseum Boulevard from the early morning hours of August 30. In the video, Freddie could be seen talking on his cell phone, according to police.

Police said Freddie was wearing a pair of red shoes in the video. A shoe print was found under Jones’ body at the scene, according to the probable cause.  Police said they could not find the red shoes Freddie was wearing in the video after searching the Alcantar’s home.

According to police, blood evidence that was collected the day of the homicide showed Freddie’s blood on the kitchen counter at Jones’ home.

In an initial interview, Freddie told police that the only rooms he and his wife went into on the day of Jones’ death were the bathroom and Jones’ bedroom.

Although the probable cause says Freddie and Erika are married, Joyner told NewsChannel 15 on Thursday that he did not know the current relationship between the two.

Comments are closed.