FORT WAYNE, Ind. (WANE) – Two Fort Wayne restaurant managers experienced quite the surprise while preparing to open on Sunday morning.
“All of sudden, we just heard a big ‘thump!’ on the door,” Julian Gallo, shift manager at Moe’s Southwest Grill, told NewsChannel 15.
When Gallo looked outside, he saw a deer lying near the entrance of the restaurant, which is located near the intersection of Dupont and Lima Roads.
(See photos above – WARNING: These photos are graphic)
“I was pretty shocked. Not usually how I start my morning,” Gallo said.
Gallo called Animal Care and Control, along with the Fort Wayne Police Department, but sadly, by the time officials got to the restaurant, the deer had already passed away.
Fort Wayne Police Department spokesperson Chris Felton told NewsChannel 15 that the deer broke its neck when it ran into the door.
Animal Care and Control took the deer away and helped with the clean-up process, according to Gallo.
Felton said there is no damage to the building.
“I guess he just wanted to come in early and get some burritos,” Gallo joked.