Parasailing teens remain in critical condition

A picture of the storm behind Sidney Renea Good and Alexis Fairchild while parasailing on Monday. Picture courtesy Grace Gallaher.

PANAMA CITY BEACH, Fla. (WISH/WANE)   After the frightening video hit the airwaves Tuesday , the nation continues following the recovery of two Indiana teens who were seriously injured in a parasailing accident on Monday.

Sidney Good and Alexis Fairchild remained in critical condition in a Panama City Beach hospital on Wednesday afternoon.

See also | Friends hold prayer vigil for two teens hurt in parasailing accident

The two 17-year-olds were parasailing in high winds when the rope apparently broke from the boat, sending the girls flying out of control. Cell phone video shows the two hitting a balcony on a condo and careening over another building before crashing into an SUV in a parking lot. On Wednesday, the Bay County Sheriff’s Department released two 911 calls.

Caller: “We are at the Commodore and a parasail just smashed into the top of it!”

Caller: “They actually hit power lines in front of the building. You’re going to need two paramedic units en route.”

A fundraising website started by friends has raised more than $7,000. The family of the teens released a statement thanking everyone for their prayers and support and asking everyone to respect the family’s privacy.

The parents also released a statement updating the public on the specifics of Good and Fairchild’s conditions on Wednesday:

Our daughters, Sidney Good and Alexis Fairchild, are still in critical condition at Bay Medical Center in Panama City, Florida from a parasailing accident on July 1.  Both girls sustained head trauma as well as multiple severe lacerations.  Alexis has severe back injuries and Sidney has neck trauma.  However, we are fortunately seeing some positive signs from both Sidney and Alexis.  Sidney has been responsive to caregivers and has been able to use small movements to communicate including a thumbs up for her parents.  Alexis had surgery today on her spine and has also been responsive including a small wave at her parents when she returned from surgery.  Our families are incredibly touched by all the support we’ve received from friends at home and from many people we haven’t met before who are praying for our girls.  While the situation is still critical we are encouraged by these very small signs of progress.  We have heard from so many generous people who have offered to help and we are working to establish a fund for the medical care of both Sidney and Alexis.  We will have more information on that to come.  Thank you again to all who are thinking of and praying for our girls.  Your prayers are working! 

Related | Parasailing company sued before accident

The parasailing company, Aquatic Adventures, released a statement on Wednesday expressing sympathy for Monday’s events:

The events of July 1, 2013 were tragic. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to the families of the injured girls and we all pray for their speedy recovery.

While we adhere to best practices to minimize the risks associated with watersport activities, sudden weather conditions can and do occur. As a full investigation is on going, we are unable to comment further at this time.

Jeff Jones, Aquatic Adventures Management Group, Inc.

Comments are closed.